Sunday, 26 April 2015

Importing meshes and textures to Unreal 4 and creating the Materials

The last work I had to do was to import the textures and create the materials for the different 3d models that I did. The following process was:

- Import all textures (in the correct folder, Content-Props-Text).

- Create a new material and name  it correctly (that way would be easier the work for designers for find the models and their materials). On the material window I was linking the different textures in the correct gaps (Base color, Metallic, Specular, etc).

- Open the 3d model actor, paste the material and add the collision.

In some materials I needed to add some variables, like lerps, multiply material, and so on. That's tools help to change the brightness, color, or other specification directly on the game engine.

For some props, like stalls or tents I had to create instances from the original material. I mean, I created a copy (instance) with all the information about the master material, but changing the other diffuses (colors). I had to create a parameter (Diffuse parameter) in the original material, and then on the instance I could change the diffuse map from the second or third color version. On that way make easier the work for designers, for adding the different colors on the same props or assets without having to recompile the entire material (less information on memory).

I had to create all the materials for my props or assets and J Kay's pieces too. Some examples of importing textures and creating materials.



Creating the instance materials (right) from master material (left)
Testing the props on the game


No comments:

Post a Comment